The first thing that runs through my mind is "What the hell are they thinking?" I could get drunk and create a better commercial than that. This was a total waste of money, time, and creative resources (if they have any left.)
The creators of CAH posted on blog on Medium, where they claim that the commercial put them into Chapter 11 Bankruptcy. Big shock there. Now that claim that the blog and bankruptcy claim are a hoax designed to get more attention.
I do not see this as a clever marketing ploy, but as a stupid move by the creators without having any checks and balances over them. They initially claim to have hired the firm Wieden+Kennedy to create their commercial, but they were unhappy with it so they fired that agency.
I highly doubt that CAH hired Wieden+Kennedy. This information is in the same blog on Medium where they claimed the bankruptcy and then recanted it.
They even posted a list of reasons for the failure titled "What Went Wrong?"
I'm not even going to address their answers under that list, but give unbiased answers on what really went wrong.
- The product is never mentioned.
- The benefits (in this case lots of laughter) are not mentioned either.
- No details on where to buy this product.
- No logos identifying the company running the ad.
- No music or narration in the background.
- Just a potato and nothing else.